There are a few items to take note of in the upcoming days and weeks. The next meeting of the WCA working group is Monday March 24th (tomorrow evening). Please contact us if you are interested in attending:
1. Temporary road closure to erect tower crane – please note that Victoria Street between Princess and South Bartlett will be closed on Tuesday March 25th and Wednesday March 26th between 7:00am and 5:00pm for Patry Inc. Developments to erect a tower crane. If you have any problems please contact Dan Franco of the city’s Engineering Department firstname.lastname@example.org We understand the site has been released hence the work that is taking place. We also understand that the Fire Marshall has not yet finalised the report, however, it will not be a public document and can only be obtained through Freedom of Information.
2. Our Neighbourhood OMB hearing Wednesday March 26th The following message is from Our Neighbourhood.
Development Crisis on Johnson Street – consider attending the hearing
Many of you are aware of the Johnson Street development which City Council has approved for the north side of Johnson Street between Toronto and Macdonnell Streets. Five single-family homes will be torn down and replaced with 29 units with a total of 108 bedrooms. The City has approved this monster high-density development in a neighbourhood that is zoned for one- and two-family homes. Some of our Williamsville and Sydenham District neighbours have formed a group Our Neighbourhood to appeal Council’s decision to the Ontario Municipal Board.
You can help by:
· Taking out a membership in Our Neighbourhood it’s only $20 (per household).
· Making a donation to Our Neighbourhood to help defray the costs of the OMB appeal.
· Attending the OMB hearing that will begin Wednesday 26 March at 10 a.m. in Kingston City Hall.
Please consider how you can help. This could happen in any neighbourhood. Your neighbourhood may be next.
Further information is available at www.ourneighbourhood.ca
3. Williamsville reconstruction schedule update – As you have likely noticed, crews have continued work on the service excavations throughout the first phase of the construction zone for the Williamsville reconstruction project. At this point in time, the contractor anticipates that the service excavations between Macdonnell St and the Medical Arts building will be taking place until early April.
Starting in early April, the intersection of Princess St and Macdonnell St will be closed as crews begin the complete excavation of the intersection for the sewer and water main replacements. While this intersection is closed, through westbound traffic on Princess St will be detoured at Alfred St, with eastbound Princess St traffic being detoured at Drayton Ave. This work should take three weeks to complete, with the intersection of Princess St and Macdonnell St re-opening to traffic in late April on a gravel surface. More details about the schedule for the surface restoration (concrete curbs, sidewalks, etc) will be made available in the near future.
Once the intersection of Princess St and Macdonnell St has re-opened, crews will continue work westerly on Princess St, between Macdonnell St and the Medical Arts building, with the road being completely closed to vehicular traffic. At this time westbound traffic will be detoured at Macdonnell St and eastbound traffic will continue to be detoured at Drayton Ave (see map below). Excavation work is anticipated to be completed in this section by early May, with the restoration of the surface to be completed afterwards.
As always, if you have any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me via e-mail or phone (613-328-2509).
Derek Ochej, City of Kingston- Public Works Services, Public Education and Promotion Coordinator(613) 546-4291 ext 2703
4. Ongoing at the Window Art Gallery until March 30th – visit the group exhibition and sale from the Thousand Islands Fine Art Association. At Victoria St. at Princess St., Kingston. ON windowartgallerykingston.com 613-549-1528
Monday, Tuesday: 10 a.m. – 12 noon
Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday: 12 noon – 4 p.m.
Thursday: 12 noon – 8 p.m.
For more info and program details see www.ksoa.info
6. Wednesday April 9th– St. Luke’s Bridge and Luncheon starting at noon at 236 Nelson Street. Only $10 per person. Call 613-542-5501 or 613-548-3096 to reserve your table.
7. Williamsville Community Association Annual Town Hall Meeting – is coming up on Monday April 14th, starting at 7:00pm at St. Luke’s Church Hall on Nelson Street at Princess. Agenda forthcoming.